Hozier-Take Me to Church

296229_497522643634408_358761683_n

New US Tour Dates announced-See Below!

I have been listening to “Take Me to Church” over and over and I have been awestruck. I just couldn’t for the life of me figure out what was drawing me in. Then, a light bulb went off and I realized there is a sound that is definitely unique, but does anyone else hear Elton John? I think of Elton’s early music and there is a connection that I think can’t be mistaken. Go on and listen again!

An Irishman with a soul/blues background, Andrew Hozier-Byrne is one talented musician/vocalist. Born on St. Patty’s day is about as Irish as one can get, but there is something so worldly about this song. Listen for yourself, if you haven’t already heard him. I believe radio may already be playing him on repeat. So I am adding another tune of his, “Like Real People Do”.

“Honey just put your sweet lips on my lips
We should just kiss like real people do.”

Maybe you will hear how talented and varied he is and appreciate it. If so, like his facebook page, Hozier.

New tour dates this spring! YAY!

10710358_751828351537168_5083247010380124478_o

47 Comments Add yours

1. Tom says:

Yes — agree about the early Elton reference..

1. Lorie B says:

I thought I was the only one, when I first heard the song I immediately thought of Elton! I have asked several people, and not one agreed with me. I am a total classic Elton John fan, so I guess I have an ear for him….love Take Me to Church. I did a Google search for Hozier sounding like Elton, and I am so glad I did! Thanks for writting about what I thought was just in my head!

1. Carrie says:

You are my music listening sister! I hope you might watch him perform on Saturday Night Live tomorrow night! I will be watching and can’t wait!

2. Nikki G says:

I’m with you Lorie……the exact same thing happened with me. Glad that there are others who can hear it too.

2. Mike says:

I Told my daughter in the car , This is Elton John replicate , she had no clue what I said until I showed this article

3. Anonymous says:

I was shocked when I discovered it was not Elton John.

2. Bailey says:

I definitely heard Elton John as well. In fact, isn’t there an Elton song that sounds very much like the first several lines of the chorus of Take Me To Church? I have listened to many Elton songs trying to find the exact part, but cannot pinpoint it. Any idea? It’s almost clear in my musical memory… but I can’t quite get it!!

1. Carrie says:

Elton’s discography is so vast, it would take a long time to determine if there was one song that was that similar. I was thinking more in terms of the piano and depth of both voices and how similar those are.

2. Lorie B says:

Could it be Someone Saved My Life Tonight?

1. Lorie B says:

Oh, wait, scratch that….give me a bit to listen to my collection, I know it, Bailey!!!!

2. Lorie B says:

The beginning instrumental in “Have Mercy on the Criminal”…but I don’t think that is it! I also want to say Madman Across the Water.

3. Jocelyn says:

Take me to the Pilot and Burn Down the Mission. I totally thought of Elton John the first time i heard Take me to Church and it reminds me of Elton’s early work

4. Heidi says:

Thank you all for mentioning these Elton songs! Ever since I heard Hozier’s take me to church I have been trying to figure out which Elton song it so closely resembles. And now I hear all these songs in Church, and see why i couldn’t pin it down to just one! I’d like to add “funeral for a friend/love lies bleeding” to the list. I too thought immediately of Elton when I first heard Hozier’s song and thought Elton was releasing a new rendition of an old song. My kids looked at me like I had ten heads! 😉 Funny how Elton had little influence on Hozier and their styles end up so alike. And we can’t forget Bernie Taupin’s role in all this!

1. Francesca says:

I first heard a piece of this song as part of a commercial for a TV series and thought immediately that the voice and singing style were very similar to Elton John’s. Then I saw Hozier singing live on another program and also realized that the song’s style resembled Elton’s songs – a mix of different songs, not one in particular. Haven’t heard an enthralling song like this in a very long time though.

5. Amber says:

When I first heard the song I immediately said to my boyfriend that it was an Elton John song being redone. I am surprised now to find out that it is not. I too have gone looking for the song that is very similar to it, and I have not yet found it. I agree that there is an Elton John song I remember hearing long before now. I am 40 years old so it might have been when I was a child. I will keep looking until I find it but I’m certain the song exists!!!

1. Francesca says:

Hosier’s song reminds me very much of the potency and chorus of Elton’s song “I believe in love”.

6. Doug says:

I have had the same feeling but could not think of the song so I just went through his songs on iTunes and to me it is Boarder Song – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kVgrvOpf9A

1. Carrie says:

Wow, Doug that is so very similar. Thanks for sharing. I love listening to all of the Elton John tunes.He is such a talented singer/songwriter/musician. He spends some time in Atlanta and lives around the corner from me. I have seen him driving around in his little red convertible. I wonder if he thinks Hozier is similar to his sound…..

3. Bailey says:

it is seriously on the tip of my memory… when I listen to that chorus I can completely hear the Elton song I’m thinking of… I just can’t figure out which one it is. It’s very acoustic and almost echos like Hozier does. It’s a bit like Someone Saved My Life Tonight… but that’s still not it…

1. Francesca says:

The song that most comes to my mind is “The One”

4. Kelly says:

The chorus is very similar to Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. At least that’s what I hear.

5. Hopper says:

It sounds more like Elton from the 80’s. Believe and The One. Listen to them.

1. Carrie says:

Wow, you are so right about, Believe and The One…. Haunting how similar their voice emphasis, intonation, and resonance seems to be. Thanks for finding those!

6. Vince says:

OMG when I heard this song I actually thought it WAS Elton. I just cant think of the song it reminds me of. arrrrrrgh!!

1. Carrie says:

Vince…Hopper nailed it (see earlier comment).

7. MJ says:

Yes! I thought he sounds like Elton too! Glad to know others think so too.

8. Meg says:

I thought it was new Elton John when I first heard Hozier and he’s quickly become a new favorite. Love the uniqueness of his voice.

1. Carrie says:

Right! I just saw Alex Clare (from the UK) in concert and he has that same amazing tone. I think you should check him out too.

9. Dee says:

Hi, I also searched on Hozier sounding like Elton – Thank you guys for being here – my boyfriend didn’t see it either and it’s been driving me crazy because I thought it was so obvious. I thought maybe Elton wrote it! His voice and style also sounds so similar. I was thinking the song sounds most like Elton’s Empty Garden.

1. Carrie says:

Thank you for checking out my music blog. Come listen anytime!

10. I definitely think he was influenced by Elton on this piece. Not a doubt in my mind. Anyway, in every art form you will find that nothing is truly original or unique. It all comes from something that went before, you know? :)’s

1. Carrie says:

With all of the submissions I get, I definitely hear past influences. What I love and appreciate the most is when they take that and build their own sound and make it better!

11. Kelly says:

i totally agree that his sound is very similar to Elton. I would love to see an interview where he is asked if Elton had an impact on his music. Did he write this or was it written by someone else?

12. Travis says:

So I was in total agreeance with all of you about his music’s resemblance to a young Elton John (who is amazing btw, and definitely one of the greatest of all time), and assumed he had an Elton influence, but apparently he had only heard his hits…interview in the link where he talks about it:

1. Carrie says:

Cool, thanks for sharing and worth the read.

13. Gail says:

Elton’s “Take Me to the Pilot” sounds similar as well…

14. Gregory Grehan says:

Actually thought Elton John was making a comeback when I heard this song!

15. Laura says:

When I first heard the song I actually thought it was Elton John and I was a bit confused because it sounded so much like him, but something was off. It wasn’t until a few days later till I heard the song again and caught the name of the singer – which in turn brought me to google and to this blog 🙂

1. Carrie says:

Thanks for stopping by! Lots of great music to celebrate, I hope you’ll come back often!

16. Amber says:

I find that the chorus sounds very similar to an older song but I can’t seem to find which one it is. I do not believe that it is by Elton John but would anyone know what I am talking about?
    ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYSVMgRr6pw ) From 00:56 to 01:06, and then again from 01:11 to 01:21.

Thanks!

1. Kim says:

My daughter has been singing this for days. I heard the song in full for the first time today and thought the artist must be singing with Elton. I was wrong – but I can see I’m not alone in my thoughts!

17. carrie w. says:

Ha . this is pretty funny. I just did a Google search on take me to church sounds like Elton John and came across your blog. Then I saw we have the same first name. Double whammy 😉

1. Carrie says:

It is amazing that Hozier and Elton John are playing at Music Midtown in Atlanta in the fall! A chance to compare their styles and enjoy them side by side. Maybe we can encourage a collaboration for a song? Power to all of the followers that love both artists! If your name is Carrie you get extra cool points!!!

18. Jim says:

As with all the previous posts I also thought this was a Elton remake. I was certain of it! lol. A brief argument with my partner even. I won’t be completely satisfied until I pull out my old Elton CD’s. I was thinking the CD I have with George Micheal might be the one that has it on there. I’ll let you know. Thanks for this post! 🙂

19. Jim says:

Every CD I have from Elton I pulled out and listened to, not one of those tracts sounded like the one we all know from Hozier. Like people have said, they both have similar sounds. I did however find some good music on the old CD’s I forgot about a few years ago. In the process of looking, I re-found some of the cool songs I love.

1. Carrie says:

Isn’t it fun to listen to old CD’s again? It’s so interesting that an artist can have such talent and yet also peak our curiosity enough to research and discuss their similarities to talent from the past. Jim, I would love to know which CD’s were your favorites.